The RiverFirst Initiative is an interagency partnership of the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board, City of Minneapolis and Minneapolis Parks Foundation – together with community and agency participants and the public – to realize the RiverFirst Vision and support the implementation of RiverFirst Projects.
- Realize the seven R1 Priority Projects by 2016.
- Successfully lay the foundation for R1 Visionary Projects.
- Ensure interagency coordination.
R1 INITIATIVE BENEFITS
- Maintains momentum and enthusiasm generated by Minneapolis Riverfront Design Competition and Minneapolis Riverfront Development Initiative.
- Shares resources – expertise, community engagement, external communications – across agencies.
- Upholds a comprehensive, integrated approach to city building (see below), with multifunctional parks and public space at the forefront.
- Increases likelihood of success through interagency coordination.
- Unites disparate elements over time.
RiverFirst Initiative uses a comprehensive, integrated approach to city building, including six simultaneous functions:
- Organizational Development. Ongoing process of creating/re-creating an effective management structure to achieve the RiverFirst Vision.
- Resource Identification and Acquisition. Process through which the RiverFirst funding strategy will be defined and carried through.
- Leadership Cultivation. Ongoing, evolving process through which leadership constituencies are cultivated and leveraged.
- Integration. Ongoing process through which RiverFirst Initiative coordinates efforts with additional partners and participants.
- Projects. Planning, design and construction of RiverFirst Projects.
- Stakeholder Relations. Strategic communications across all channels with and among all stakeholders.